Thursday 31 December 2020

The Boredom of Vacation

 It's been ages since I have written anything. Partly due to my job profile, it leaves little wiggle room for creativity and partly because of all the cacophony surrounding us these days. I am back in Delhi for good and I literally had a tough time adjusting back here. All the noise, pollution,unhygienic conditions and people, well, they're just mean. It seems strange this is my hometown. I am in between some transitions in my life and as such had an opportunity to relax after toiling endlessly for the past 2 years. You can call it an extended vacation. I thought I'll catch up with some old friends in this time but you know the covid situation. What's even there to discuss anyways? People keep coming and going, what's even the point of staying in touch? I may sound depressed but it's really more of my boredom. I am just not into anything these days in my vacation time. I take pride in being highly creative. I can fix car on my own, do minor electrician/plumber/carpenter stuff and more than that I revel in the artistic pleasure of handmade functional objects. I just love to create. If you build something on your own for example let's say even a small wheel, you'll then be able to appreciate the fact that a lot of effort and mind has been put to good use in the manufacture of that object. You must have seen bevel in woodworks. A seemingly simple and elegant looking edge that needs no second look. You'll be surprised to learn that it takes a mind boggling effort to create such a straight edge.

Bevel used in carpentry
I learnt this through my studies of dentistry. The art of dentistry lies in amalgamation of not just medicine but engineering, material sciences , carpentry, metallurgy and even tailoring. It takes a deep knowledge of all these fields to become a good dentist. Surprised? 

Well, the artificial tooth is made up of ceramic over a metallic base. So there goes your metallurgy and material science. How to put it on is engineering. How it will react with surrounding tissues is medicine. If you have to remove some tissue you'll need to do some surgery and you;ll have to close the wound by applying some stitches which are 

uncannily similar to tailoring. Not everyone, even with a qualified degree is able to comprehend and have a perception as to how intricate this field of dentistry really is. 

That's my whole point. Everything which barely looks complicated at the surface, is so damn complex, it just amazes me how far the human civilisation has come. Someone, sometime had developed an idea that ok I'll just not stick a wheel on a simple rod, instead I'll make a ball bearing first which will then attach to the wheel. Seemingly simple when you look at any car/bike/bicycle wheel but what a great and marvellous piece of invention that is the "bearing"


So I guess that's it for the time being. I hope you didn't get bored listening to one guy go on and on about how simple is really complex!

1 comment: